Monday, September 14, 2009

Weekend, Beatles and back to Running

Friday my husband went out and got Beatles Rock Band. Needless to say we played off and on all weekend. I'm not good at doing two things at one time and so this really challenged me. We had fun though.

Friday night I went to the CATS game. It was fun, but we lost again. I will say we've made some great improvements from the week before. Maybe this week we'll be able to win.

Saturday morning I decided to go running with some friends that are training for the Memphis St. Jude Marathon. This week they were scheduled to run 10 miles. I wanted to think I could do it, but I wasn't sure. I haven't run since the marathon in March, so I knew this would be a slight challenge for me. So we went at 5:30. For those of you familiar with Jeff Galloway he does 4:1 or 8:2 etc. I did the 4:1 method of run 4 minutes walk 1 minute for all of my halfs and the full. This running group though does 8:2. It was a slight adjustment for me. I went out and in the end ran 6 miles with the group. One lady needed to stop at 6 due to an injury she is still nursing so I decided I would stop so that I would keep myself from injury.
The worst part was the last 1/2 mile. I had gotten tired and really hot by that point. I made it, but I had to push myself a little.
My plan is to run 3 days this week at 3 miles each using the 8:2 method. Then on Saturday they are doing 10 miles again. I'm going to go out and run with them again and see how it goes. If all goes well, I'm seriously thinking about signing up for the Memphis full in December.

So I tried a new recipe for this week. I found it on WW website. It is another vegetarian recipe. The last one I made was really good.

Baked Pasta with Butternut Squash and Ricotta
2 spray(s) cooking spray
20 oz butternut squash, fresh, peeled and cubed*
1/8 tsp table salt, for cooking pasta
12 oz uncooked whole-wheat pasta, penne
1 1/4 cup(s) fat-free skim milk
2 Tbsp white all-purpose flour
2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
1 Tbsp thyme, fresh, chopped, divided
1/2 cup(s) part-skim ricotta cheese
1/3 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese, Parmigiano-Reggiano recommended
1/4 cup(s) chopped walnuts, toasted

Instructions
Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Coat a 2 1/2- to 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
Place squash on prepared baking sheet; roast until tender, about 20 to 30 minutes. Place in a large bowl and mash.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. After squash has been roasting for about 10 minutes, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and return to pot.
In a medium saucepan, whisk together milk, flour, garlic, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking frequently; reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring often, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in mashed squash and 2 1/2 teaspoons of thyme. Add sauce to pasta; toss to mix and coat.
Transfer pasta mixture to prepared baking dish; dot with spoonfuls of ricotta and then sprinkle with Parmesan and walnuts. Bake until top is lightly browned in a few spots, about 15 to 20 minutes; remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon of thyme. Yields about 1 cup per serving.

5 points per serving, serves 8.

One thing about this recipe that I'll change. I'm not a huge thyme fan. I cut it down in this recipe, in fact I didn't use all that is required. I think next time I might even leave it out.

No comments: