Tuesday, September 15, 2009

New addiction


So, I currently have an addiction to okra. I've been making it for about a month or so. My sister shared a similar recipe with me a while back, so I thought I would give it a try. I've sense had to move to frozen okra because the fresh isn't really around in my area anymore. I'm fine with frozen, it basically tastes the same to me.

So, here it goes. These are the ingredients you need:
A bag of okra, a little cooking spray and some olive oil. So simple! I start by spraying my baking pan with the spray. I do this so I'll use less oil. Trust me I'd much rather coat it in olive oil, but for calorie/fat reasons I try and use both. After I spray my pan I dump the okra on the pan. Then I drizzle a little olive oil on top and finish it off with a little salt.
When I was a child, my mom would make fried okra. My ultimate fav in the summer time. This recipe is basically roasting it, but I let mine cook for a while. I want it crunchy like the texture of fried. I let mine roast for 2 hours on 400 degrees. Yes, that is 2 hours. I stir it every 20-30 min. In the beginning you'll see the slim a little, but just give it time, that goes away, I promise.
So here is the finished product:

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it.
In fact, I can't get enough. I could sit and eat the entire bag in one setting. Sure it is healthy, but I probably don't need to indulge in that much okra in one setting.

Anyhow, I would highly recommend giving it a try.

Regardless of okra, I love roasted veggies. I love to roast zuch, squash, onions, egg plant, etc. I've even done a potato every now and then.

Totally give this a try.
Last night I just walked. My body is still recovering from the beating it took on Saturday with the running. I feel great today, so my plan is to run tonight for 3 miles and see how I do. One bad part is the humidity is killer here right now, and on top of that, they are calling for rain for 3 days! :( Hopefully I can still squeeze in a quick run.

Tonight I'm doing taco salads for dinner. Man it's been a while.


3 comments:

Angie P said...

ok this recipe is a god-send! I am one okra fan, we've been recently grilling it (so it will dry out) and that's been yum, but I think this will take it to a whole new level of YUM! thanks so much

Dawn said...

Love me some roasted okra. The taste really does fool the brain into thinking it taste fried. I cook mine on a higher temp of 450 and for less time. I need to try your method to see how I like it. I might try the frozen okra too. Great idea.

Shiri Briseno said...

I hadn't eaten okra in years, actually forgot all about it until I read your post, tried it tonight and fell in love with it, it will be one of our staples forsure, thanks for posting it.