Monday, February 16, 2009

Long Run and Spring Cleaning

26 days until the Marathon! Wow, 26 days.

Here is my recap from Saturday!

After arriving on Friday night Dawn, myself and Julie decided what better way to being the race then starting at the same time as we would for the marathon. So, we hit the streets at 6:30. We were a little late, but heck, I was thrilled we got going that early! We ran for about 6 miles then started towards the beginning of the Freezing 10K. We actually arrived about 2-3 minutes after the start time because we had to pee. The 10K went great, but if you know NWAR and Fayetteville, then you know they have HILLS! Not just gradual inclines but HILLS! It went well, but some were steep and honestly, it scared me. I didn't want to pop my knee out or do something funky so I took them S-L-O-W! After crossing the finish line it was a mad dash back to the port of pottys, a quick bite of some grub for race finishers and we were off again. I had a cinnamon bagel (1/2 of one) and it was oh my goodness to DIE FOR!!!!! So yummy! Each time we stopped for more than a fuel, we stopped the clock, so we actually went for a while longer than 4 hours and 45 minutes!

The last 2 miles I struggled. I was just worn out. I didn't sleep great the night before and my body was just running on fumes. I fueled again with a nutigrain bar and that helped, honestly, by about mile 15 I need food and not gels. I pushed on and we finished. We walked about 1 mile afterwards just to cool down. I am figuring we did close to 21 miles in the end. I would rate this run probably an 8! Except for the fatigue at the end, I felt fantastic. I think that is normal though..anyone running 20 miles is going to feel tired by that point. Throw in a few massive hills and you'll for sure feel tired! So, that was our longest run yet! I am so proud of us. We did great!

Yesterday the husband and I got productive. After church and lunch at my mom's we decided to clean up around the house. Honestly we cleaned one room from TOP to BOTTOM. We are trying to take one room at a time and just throw junk away. We are trying to get our house is better shape and it needs it.

2 comments:

The Lewis's said...

Great job Jess!!!!

Heather said...

Congrats on your run...that sounds AWESOME! I skimmed through some of your posts and I think you are doing so great!!! I ran in the LR Half last year and one thing I did differently than I had in the past (I have run a couple of marathons and lots of halfs) is start ultra-hydrating on Thursday. Tons of water non-stop for those three days before race day! I had to pee every 5 minutes, but it was worth it on race day. Before I had always just hydrated extra the day before...but the early start really helped, I think.
So sorry for the long comment...but I can already tell you and I have a lot in common! I am going to add you to my blog friends so I can check in on you...can't wait for your race day report!!