Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Rambling thoughts on the Points System

Last night I worked a WW meeting. For those of you that don't know, I work for WW on the side. I am a trained leader, receptionist, and weigher. I have done my share of all of these responsibilities at one time or another, but currently I just do one meeting. At this meeting I just weigh.
The last few weeks I've really thought hard about quitting. Just because it is a commitment to go each week.

Last night though was somewhat different. I have made friends with several of the members. I've seen them drop some serious weight and gain a new attitude about themselves. I must admit I'm envious! They are working hard and seeing results. I know the program works. I've done it and been in the exact place as these ladies have been.

The last few months haven't been easy for me. I go up and down with my weight. I stopped running then started again. It's just been an up and down cycle for me. This summer has been super hectic at work! I mean to the point of almost stressful at times!

Where I'm getting with this:
I have done calories for a while now and not points. When I was on points back 3 years ago, I lost weight perfectly. Since switching over to cals my exercise has changed and my cals increased slightly. Not that this is bad. I needed the extra cals for fuel. Now that I'm still running and training for another half marathon, I will still need to increase, but this time I'm going back points and the weight watchers system!

With Cals I was doing a big MB (Metabilic Boost) each week. To be honest, they have pros and cons. For me, it is a con. I eat too much and then wind up wanting more. One big meal just pushes me over the edge. Its like I just crave more when I take one little bite. So, I'm thinking about cutting out the MB's each week. With points if I want a cookies, or some french fries I'll count it. Sure, I won't have these all the time or daily, but once or twice a week, I'm gonna indulge!

I am back on counting points. It works for me and I was very successful at it.

I made a promise to several of my gals at WW last night that I was tracking again. Writing everything down that goes in my mouth!
I've tracked the last 2 days and will do so again today as well! Wish me luck!

Last night I did some ST too when I got home. I wanted to workout and even though I would of loved to park my butt in front of the TV, I did a ST routine instead. It felt great when I finished.

Tonight I'll be running again. I'm not sure yet on the mileage. Either 4 or 7 miles. I need to do a long run at some point this week and I'm not sure our weekend plans yet.

Austin is still up in the air. It doesn't look good though. 70 mph wind and heavy rain right at game time! We shall see.

If you are still reading...thanks! I need all the encouragement I can get right now!

Big presentation today....gotta get going!

8 comments:

Jen said...

Good for you for finding what works best for YOU.

Some people enjoy counting calories, others points...either way, it's the same system, just a different way of doing it!!!

As for the MB, good for you for cutting it out if you find it's just leading you to temptation...although, you CAN treat yourself while counting calories as well!!!

Sagan said...

That's great that you're going with what you really like and what works for you. That's the best way to do it! Everyone is different in their needs.

Liz said...

Thank you for the encouragement...I was going to slack out of my run today...but after reading your post I am going to do!

Phoenixrising said...

Good for you! Sending you lots of encouragement and support as you get back on track with tracking!! :)

Dawn said...

Jess, GREAT!! Go with what works for you and if that is WW points then you should do it and if that means no large MB then don't do it. I am proud of you for realizing what wasn't working for you and for changing to what does.

TinaGirl said...

Great job at holding youself acountable. You do what works for you, Cals or points... if it works, it works, if it doesn't change it.

Reading your blog takes me back. My maternal Gma and Gpa were from Arkansas and Texas so when they would go visit they would come back with TONS of Razorback shirts and coffee cups and stuffed hogs for us. Arkansas will always hold a special place in my heart.

I love your blog! I'll be checking in on you frequently. You will be one HOT MOM!

SuperDave said...

Good luck on WW, if it worked before you can make it work again.
I've often thought about WW myself, if my "calorie crunching" doesn't work within the next 2 weeks, I may try it too..
I talked to a friend in the Austin area and he is stocking up on goods and filling up his gas tank in preparation for the worst. Good luck!

Q102Briand said...

Jessica...Congrats on setting the new goals and direction. It sounds like you know exactly what you want to do and you WILL accomplish everything you set your mind to!

Good luck and keep inspiring us :-)